When Pamela Slim (Escape from Cubicle Nation) and Mitch Joel (Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life) – two people I’ve admired for a long time – get together, good things happen, as it did in this terrific podcast: Your Body Of Work With Pamela Slim. I caught Pamela’s Facebook update that the podcast was available last weekend and listed to it at the gym and couldn’t wait to share.
If you’re thinking about making the leap to doing your own thing – starting your own firm, becoming a consultant, or having a more meaningful career right where you are, check out the podcast – it’ll get you excited and motivated.
Here are some of the points Pamela and Mitch touched on:
- Using your skills in a way that’s enjoyable, makes sense, and makes meaning
- What motivates you? – Avoiding pain or attaining pleasure? Or both?
- The joy of craft – gaining autonomy, mastery & purpose
- When is the right time to make a change?
- The impact of social media on the way we work, how we interact, and what kinds of opportunities are available to us
- Is working on a side hustle always the right thing to do or can it present a conflict?
- Is the entrepreneurial path the right one for you? There’s no shame in trying and finding out that it’s not
- How to be good storytellers
- The internet as a great liberator for people to do work that’s meaningful to the world and themselves
After leaving a decade-long legacy position in a law firm (they no longer exist – and that’s a good thing) and going through the highs and lows of consultancy for three years, then pivoting to the exciting and challenging “new normal” of content marketing, legal tech and the cloud, this podcast really resonated with me. It’s a great time to step out on your own, create side gigs around your passion, or reimagine your current position, but it takes courage, hustle, and true joy of craft.
Check out the conversation and start your own.
5 Daily Productivity Practices To Reduce Stress and Get Things Done
Using Mind Hacks to Improve Law Office Management