Using E-Books for Content Marketing and Lead Generation
E-Books are hailed by many businesses as an invaluable tool for marketing and lead generation. Hubspot refers to E-Books as “the hip sibling of the white paper.” You can create PDF style E-Books that can be downloaded from your own website, or EPUB style E-Books that can be uploaded and offered on third-party website. Both can substantially increase the visibility of your business online and help generate leads.
Types of E-Books
The main difference between the two styles of books is complexity.
PDF E-Books can easily be created on any computer you own. Once created, you can share them on your website, social media, and through email newsletters. They are readable on computers, tablets, and smart phones. What you design is exactly how your audience will view it.
EPUB style E-Books are more complicated to create. Special software is usually required to make sure that what your audience sees is on par with what you have designed. A major benefit of EPUB E-Books is that they are created with a fluid format with flowing text that can be enlarged or changed by the reader (which is a great accessibility feature).
Distribution of EPUB E-Books usually requires you to upload them to third-party websites such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the iBookstore.
How Can E-Books Help With Your Marketing?
PDF– Because of the simplicity of PDFs and quick production time, they can be used in many ways. You can use them to spread ideas, offer them as an opt-in to help grow your email list, and create products that will allow you to test ideas for future and more in-depth products.
EPUB– EPUB E-Books allow you to get your ideas in front of a much larger audience by making it available in digital bookstores. Making the E-Book free or low-cost will help with exposure, especially if you plan to create an entire series. If you’re interested in income, producing higher-priced books can be be a significant source of profit.
Choose your Content Wisely
E-Books normally exist to provide either entertainment or expertise. Aim for expertise by creating books that are sources of knowledge. Offering tips and tricks along with best practices will help your E-Book appeal to your target audience.
Try to use existing content if you can. There’s nothing unethical about using previous material to generate new content. This can drastically cut back on the time it takes to produce your E-Books.
Tips for Creating E-Books
Here are a few tips for creating an E-Books that people will download and read.
- The cover should be compelling with a short, provocative title.
- Collaborate with industry thought leaders so there is incentive for them to help with promotion.
- Include links inside the E-Book to complementary sources such as other E-Books, blog posts, videos, and articles from your company and third-party resources.
- Keep the length relatively short- 25 to 50 pages is plenty. The length makes it convenient for your audience and easier for you to produce more of them.
- Make the E-Book easy to share by embedding social media share buttons on each page.
- Publicize your E-Book using online ads such as Google Display ads. This way you can create an optimized landing page for your book to track your downloads.
Using E-Books to market your business can significantly improve your current marketing strategy. Weigh the pros and cons of each type of E-Book you create, including what format it is and where it will be distributed.