Lawyers understand the need to stay current and relevant in a world where content is king. One popular way they can do that is by listening to legal podcasts. Some podcasts withstand the test of time, while others come and go. There are literally dozens upon dozens to consider, but luckily we’ve done the work figuring out which ones are worth your time. Without further ado, here are the top ten legal podcasts you should check out in 2017:
1. I Am the Law– Presented by Law School Transparency, I Am The Law conducts interviews with new and seasoned law school graduates to help other lawyers learn everything they need to know about their profession. The hope is that revealing the truth about the legal profession will help listeners make better choices and improve job satisfaction.
Recent podcast: Plaintiff’s Personal Injury (NYC): A Radically Changed Business [Small Firm]
2. Opening Arguments– This podcast will certainly entertain you (and who doesn’t need a little more fun in their life?!). Legal expert Thomas Smith and Andrew Torrez, who provides comic relief, give you everything you need to understand popular legal topics and make it seem like you know what you’re talking about (even when you don’t!)
Recent podcast: The Emoluments Clause Part 2
3. ABA Law Student Podcast– Brought to you by the Legal Talk Network, the ABA Law Student Podcast covers issues that affect law students, law schools, and recent grads. This podcast is definitely a must for those who are anxious about taking the next big step.
Recent podcast: The Importance of Legal Tech and Continued Education
4. This Week in Law– An oldie but goodie! This was one of our featured podcasts way back in 2011 and we’re happy to say it’s still going strong! This Week in Law features legal blogger/attorney Denise Howell with J. Michael Keyes and Emory Roane. Every Friday, they cover issues in technology law, including patents, copyright, and more.
Recent podcast: The Krusty Krab Doctrine
5. Legal Current–Are you interested in information and commentary regarding the business side of practicing law? The Legal Current podcast from Thomson Reuters is just what you need.
Recent podcast: What Safer Roads Could Mean for Personal Injury Practices
6. The Legal Toolkit– Hosts Heidi Alexander and Jared Coreia have monthly discussions with forward-thinking lawyers. They cover trends and business initiatives that will help you grow your firm.
Recent podcast: The ABA’s Newest Project: Blueprint
7. The Paralegal Voice– The Paralegal Voice covers current issues in the world of paralegals and legal assistants. Host Vicki Voisin (the Paralegal Mentor), along with her guests, discusses everything from career tips and public speaking tips to writing skills and hiring trends.
Recent podcast: Public Speaking Tips, Tricks, and Leadership Opportunities
8. Lawyer 2 Lawyer– This award-winning podcast is one of the longest-running podcasts, and as long as it’s still around we’ll continue recommending it. Legal blogger Bob Ambrogi and J. Craig Williams cover relevant, contemporary news from a legal perspective. Definitely check it out!
Recent podcast: The Legalities of Amazon’s Echo
9. New Solo–Host Adriana Linares (along with guest lawyers and relevant professionals) covers topics including transitioning to a solo practice, rainmaking, law practice management, networking, job searching, technology, and more. Lots of best practices for solos here!
Recent podcast: The Benefits of Unbundling Legal Services
10. Life of the Law– The Life of the Law is comprised of a team of investigative journalists, audio producers, editors, scholars, and supporters who talk about law in our everyday lives. They produce bi-weekly feature episodes that are investigative reports, stories, and hot-topic conversations about law in America.
Recent podcast: Live Law NSF: Translating (law and social) Science